House-sharing is very common in London, due to the high rental prices. Finding accommodation normally takes at least a couple of weeks so organising a cheap hotel, hostal or residence before you arrive will give you time to search properly. Below are some tips to help with your search.
- Don't pay anything before seeing the house unless you really trust the recipient;
- Focus your search in one or two areas of the city, to avoid too much travel;
- Areas near tube stations are normally more expensive. Consider train and bus routes too;
- Try to live near friends / work / places you like to go. Travel can be expensive and time consuming;
- Consider if you would feel comfortable walking in that area at night;
- When moving to a new city, the people you live with are often more important than the house you live in.